Swiss-cheese plant - Monstera deliciosa
- Gift wrapping:
- Options available
- Calculated at Checkout
The fruit salad or swiss cheese plant is an incredibly hardy plant with amazingly large swiss cheese like leaves. The roots also have the fun habit of growing up the trunk of the plant.
Normal house temperatures suit Monstera. Avoid cold drafts or pressing leaves against cold windows in winter. They do appreciate humidity so misting is beneficial or alternatively, you can put the pot on small stones or blocks to keep it raised, and fill the saucer or slip pot beneath with water. The water evaporates increasing humidity, but keeping the pot raised allows the free drainage essential to a happy indoor plant.
Exotic indoor plant with large waxy leaves which grow cream coloured flowers. It prefers a filtered light position in the corner of a room or on your patio.
Maintenance: prefers well drained soil and liquid feed once a month.
Planting: ideal for pots or containers. They look exceptional growing on a totem.
- General maintenance can be done anytime. Old or tatty leaves should be cut back to the base. Polish or dust the leaves for best aesthetics. Any major trimming, rejuvenation pruning or repotting is best done in spring.
- The bigger pot you use the bigger the plant will grow, so if trying to limit the eventual size, keep pot size as small as possible.
- Use a good quality potting mix and a pot with good drainage.
- Pat down firmly (removes air-pockets) and water in well.
- Do not feed newly repotted Monstera for 3 months.
Leaf tips turning brown
- Overwatering – reduce watering – allow to dry out more in-between watering
- Chemical burn from fertiliser accumulation – flush out the potting mix thoroughly
- Chemical burn from poor tap water – not a big problem in Melbourne.
- Root rot – commonly from overwatering.
- Dry stagnant air
- Old leaves naturally turn yellow as they age, before turning brown and dying.
- Too much sun
- Lack of fertiliser.
- Overwatering can lead to yellowing
- Lack of humidity
Pests - Mealy bug
- Spray with white oil or pest oil.