Are you looking for ways to purify the air in your home? Look no further than houseplants… as they are both functional and decorative.
Plants don’t just brighten our homes and offices but they also purify the air, help create a more relaxed, restful ambience in any room and make a space feel welcome.
For city-dwellers who spend most of their day's indoors we are faced with constantly having to deal with toxins and we are not immune to the effects. Toxic compounds found in furnishings, upholstery, building materials and cleaning products contribute to making our air quality less then pleasant, and yes, we and our families are breathing these all in. But don’t panic as our green friend’s "plants" are perfect for helping us with this problem.
So, we've rounded up 10 beautiful houseplants that are easy to take care of for novice gardeners, which are effective at increasing oxygen, humidity and clearing out the toxins with are breathing in.
So at Beyond Sunflowers we are revealing our top picks for air-purifying plants:
1. Peace Lily Among the few air purifiers that flower, the peace lily adapts well to low light but requires weekly watering and is poisonous to pets. Removes: Ammonia, Benzene, Formaldehyde and Trichloroethylene
2. Boston Fern First popularised during the Victorian era, the Boston fern features feather-like leaves and curved fronds that are well suited to indoor hanging baskets. It can prove a bit difficult to maintain because of its need for constant moisture and humidity. Removes: Formaldehyde and Xylene
3. Spider Plant A good option for beginning gardeners, the spider plant reproduces quickly, growing long, grassy leaves as well as hanging stems, which eventually sprout plant-lets—hence its arachnid-inspired name. Removes: Formaldehyde and Benzene.
4. Mother In-Laws Tongue, is also an excellent choice for a beginner’s indoor garden. The broad green and yellow leaves grow upright and require little water and light. This plant serves more than just an aesthetic purpose; Removes: Formaldehyde and Benzene.
5. Golden Pothos is a wonderfully low-maintenance species perfect for those just beginning to cultivate houseplants. It does well in low light, and the soil should be allowed to dry in between watering’s. Its glossy vines like to tumble away from the pot, so putting the pothos in a hanging basket is an eye-catching way to accent a room. Removes: Formaldehyde, Benzene and targets Carbon Monoxide.
6. Parlour Palm the quintessential houseplant native to the forests of Mexico, and they are non-toxic to dogs and cats. They add a charming beachfront feel to any indoor area and grows well in indirect sunlight. Removes: Formaldehyde and Xylene
7. Anthurium a statement plant with stunning purple, pink and red flowers/spadices that last almost forever, they are a cinch to grow, with gorgeous glossy heart shaped leaves, perfect if your trying to add colour to your home. Removes: Formaldehyde, Ammonia, Toluene and Xylene
8. Weeping Fig This low-maintenance, evergreen plant grows well both inside and out. If you use it as a houseplant, place it in an area that has plenty of bright indirect natural light. If you place it directly in the sun, it’s possible that the leaves will burn. Water it frequently, but to avoid root rot allow the soil to dry before adding more water. Removes: Formaldehyde, Benzene and Trichloroethylene
9. Fiddle Leaf Fig are cropping up all over the interior design scene lately, making them one of the most photogenic and popular indoor plants around. And not only are they aesthetically appealing, but they’re also wonderful for improving air quality by providing high levels of oxygen and cleaning the air of allergens. Removes: Formaldehyde
10. Rubber Tree requiring less light than many other plants and outperforming all other ficuses. Multiple variegated options with striking colours, they are also non-toxic to dogs and cats. Removes: Formaldehyde.
Fiddle Leaf Fig
Mother In-Laws Tongue
The best method to improve you indoor air quality is to have some of these houseplants around, try to eliminate the source of the pollutants and have an air purifier working to cleanse the air at all times.